Saturday, January 23, 2010

stories are light.

"Hidden in a hole in the wall of the princess' bedroom, the mouse listened with all his heart. The sound of the king's music made Despereaux's soul grow large and light inside of him." {Excerpt: The Tale of Despereaux}

For our Young Adult Literature class we were assigned the reading of The Tale of Despereaux. I had no expectation of enjoying this book, I only wanted to get the assignment checked off my to-do list. However, within the first few pages I was captivated by this charming book for children that is packed full of truths. I found myself even feeling a bit weepy in some places...a very embarrassing thing to admit when you realize you're reading a story about a mouse. But, read it for yourself and you'll see what I mean. As the author writes, "Stories are light. Light is precious in a world so dark." I have come to find that truth has a way of touching something deep inside of us and the feeling that it stirs up cannot be explained very easily.

No comments: